Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The Fourth of July. There's no place like home.

270. Fourth of July weekend and fireworks. We had a low key 4th. It's amazing how quiet things can be when you're supposed to be out of town. It worked out well. Saturday was spend swimming and cooking and then eating dessert with friends. Sunday we all hung out at home and watched a Capitol 4th. Then we tried to go to the rained out fireworks. Even when cars were leaving in droves, there were some pretty determined people out there. If you look closely, you can see them waiting in their folding chairs and umbrellas in between the raindrops.


Monday we slept in, then did chores. It rained most of the morning. Mr. C. spent 6 hours at work on what was supposed to be his day off. (And was a good chunk of the reason we stayed home after all.) The front lawn got mowed. Mountains of laundry were moved. (Faith and determination help!) Rooms were cleaned. And then we settled in to watch National Treasure and play Settlers of Catan. At 9:30 several small voices popped up. Aren't we going to see the fireworks? Umm. We thought about it, but it seemed like everyone was happy hanging out. Fireworks! OK, jump in the car! (The S-Train in short, patriotic pajamas.) We headed out as the show was starting and watched the first part of it in pieces. Darn trees! Finally we got to where we had watched them last year. The parking was not good, so Mr. C let us out to run down the sidewalk towards a better spot. At this point I realized that two of my children were shoeless. They thought we were going to stay in the car to watch. And in the summer, aren't shoes optional?

We came out on a beautiful view. Grass and a clear skyline full of bright explosions. I picked up the shoeless S-Train and held him on my hip. He avoided the rocks and got a clearer view. I realized this is the last year I will be able to do this. Their littleness is growing and expanding, like the fireworks, into something bigger. As we stood there I got asked questions like, "What if a plane was flying there? What would happen if you could touch a firework? How do they change color - or shape?" The never ending six year old questions that I only know some of the answers to. I love his confidence that I can answer his questions. I hope that will last as long as possible.

We ooohed and ahhhed over the lights in the sky. We pointed out our favorites. I thought about how blessed we are to celebrate freedom with a light show each year. As the S-Train said, "It's not the 4th of July without fireworks!"

After the fireworks we went to find where Dad had parked. The girls linked arms and skipped down the sidewalk singing Wizard of Oz songs, and I felt a great contentment. It's good to be home.

1 comment:

  1. I love your journaling - I love *feeling* your life through your words - it is a good one, isn't it? What a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Followers