Tuesday, April 13, 2010

About the camera - I found the flower button that might give me close up pictures. It took a bit to find out how to get into the right mode so it would turn on. But then, it worked great for some things. Thanks Tara! It gave me this...

Pretty! But it also gave me this..... (which is pretty cool, actually, but not what I expected) and this..... The focus is closer, but not on my main subject. I'm sure there is something else I'm supposed to do to regulate the field of depth. How do I figure out where it focuses. It's like it has a mind of its own. I'd like to take a ton of pictures right then to get it right, but it's so hard to see the screen on a sunny day that I'm not really sure what I have until I get inside. Any more ideas?

I thought this shot of Grandma Rachel's roses was going to turn out. I'll try again to get the focus right. But at least you all can see they are growing. Go Mr. C. and his green thumb!

4 comments:

  1. :) Your blog makes me smile! There ought to be some way to change the view in your little digital camera screen so that you get some little hash marks that frame the area where the auto-focus will focus. If you play around with your camera enough, you might even find that you can change the size and/or location of the little focus frame. Whatever that little square frame is framing will be what turns up focused in the picture (theoretically) :) If you want your in-focus-flower to NOT be in the center of the picture (where the focus-frame is), start out w/ the flower IN the focus-frame, depress your shutter button half way & hold (this sets the focus @ that proper depth), shift the camera to the angle you want for the shot, then finish hitting your shutter button for the final click.
    Hopefully that's helpful!!! I love your pictures (the focus and unfocused) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tara! I'm going to go out tomorrow before the sun gets to bright and play around with it some more. I'm determined to find all the settings hidden in my camera! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. About the camera - terrible of me, but i haven't fiddled with my point and shoot for that kind of focus, but it should be able to, my SLR does it great and so easy.

    Total excitement though - I have had Grandma Rachel's Rose here for a couple years now..and nothing but leaves, I got brave, googled how to prune it, did it, and I really really think that I have a couple of roses coming!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WuHu! Be sure to post pictures when those bloom! I don't know that we'll get any blooms this year. We're just happy it's not dead! We also have a couple of Grandma's peonies that actually look like they are going to bloom for the first time this year!

    And yeah, that's what's been so frustrating about the camera, I keep thinking, it SHOULD be able to do this. But I kept trying the halfway down shutter thing and it just kept up the face recognition or metered differently. I'm going to find those hash marks tomorrow or bust! (Tara is always right on with this kind of stuff.) Or maybe I can just fly you up here to be my personal photographer! :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers