Thursday, March 18, 2010

Spring Break Sampler

I know. I've been out of the loop a little here. Spring Break, doncha' know!

199. A relaxed spring break. We feel quite lazy. We've been working, but we've found time to watch A Day at the Races, (the kids giggled off and on the whole movie. For more fun look here or here) Also, play Star Wars for an entire day, play scrabble, make scones, read, write music, go to museums, and play outside. A neighbor invited the girls to watch the Frog Prince on their giant projector television. (They are now singing the songs.) And we saw a cool map exhibit about early maps at the Archives and had a picnic. We've also played tennis several evenings this week. Unfortunately, at the end of the week we are also starting to discover some computer games. Got to nip that one in the bud! But the low stress has been nice. We've been very relaxed.

200. Getting to post 200! Wow. Over half way to my goal. Still posting. I wish I had had a blog when my children were younger. I used to call my mom with funny things my kids did or said. She would say, "Write them down. You'll forget." And I didn't. And I did. I think the act of sharing them with her took them out of my head enough that I didn't feel the urgency to nail them down any other way. But now, sharing things in a blog makes them much more permanent to me. I can go back and look at what I wrote. The very act of writing it makes it doubly real. The S-Train is going to have lots more stories from being his age than his older sisters. Not because he necessarily has more stories, but because I have them written down. All mothers with small children - be wise and have a blog. I love that I can slurp this into a book later. (And yes, that is actually the term they use.) It can be a private blog that no one sees but you, or a blog that you share with one other person that has to log in. It is a fun way to save the sweet stories.
(Side note: It also saves them on the web in case something happens. A friend of mine is loading her photos onto a private blog to keep them safe. No one can look at them without permission, but if anything happens to her copies, she's covered.)
I prefer to record my happy stories here. I certainly have enough material to create a blog that is "things that tick me off everyday." (Or stronger language, depending on the day. But then, I prefer to keep this blog G rated.)
I think something sweet and special has happened as I've kept this blog. I've been noticing and keeping track of the things that make me smile more. And I remember those things more than the bad bits. Those things still happen. Sometimes they still drive me crazy. But now, not as crazy. This blog has made me realize the beautiful things in my life are there staring at me every day. I really have it quite good compared to most of the world. I whine less. And I treasure the small moments I used to wish away more.

But - enough introspection.

201. $3.00 paint samples at Home Depot. Toted most of the girls' room over into our room, and washed and vacuumed every little cranny of it that was left behind. Sorted clothes to give away. Washed curtains and bed skirts. Took off light covers. Spackled and sanded. Then painted some trim, got a sample color, painted most of a wall, lived with it for a day, and.... nope. Back to the drawing board for a different shade of pink. We'll see if we like tomorrow's color better. But it's better to decide we don't like it with a $3.00 sample than with a whole GALLON!

202. Young Missionaries. Mr. C. helped some people in our ward chop down some trees today. They invited us over for pizza and the missionaries dropped by. We have two new ones. They are so young. Something was mentioned about graduation years and how people seem so much younger or older. The younger missionary said, "Yeah, I graduated in 2009. You ask some missionaries when they graduated and they say 2008. That was like, forever ago."
He was serious. His companion then said, "I graduated in 2007." "Really? I was only 17. That was a long time ago." The adults in the room (There were five of us. The youngest was 40.) did an excellent job of not laughing. Things will look so different to him in 20 years.


(ACK! One more post before OKGO goes off the front page. Qu'Horreur!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers