Monday, February 8, 2010

Things that Help make a Day Happy

159. Helpful strangers. I was making phone calls the other day, rounding up volunteers for the school carnival.
"Hi, Kelly, this is KT. I'm looking for volunteers for our school carnival coming up."
"Oh, yeah, I've been meaning to sign up."

So we worked out that she could work prize redemption (always a hard place to fill) and she was going to ask her husband if he could help out another shift and they could switch off. But her voice didn't sound exactly like the person I was calling. So I double checked as I put her name down in the google doc spreadsheet.
"This is Kelly, right?" (I was thinking that either it was Kelly or I had called the number just above hers. I check what I had dialed, it was right.)
"No, this is Kila H----." (At least her name started with the same first letter. We don't have anyone with her last name at our school.) Her elementary school (in our district but not very close to our school) apparently has their carnival coming up, and they are doing their sign ups.

We laughed and I told her it was a shame, but she really didn't need to come help out with our carnival instead of hers.

She was the person most ready to jump in and volunteer that I had called all night!

So, sometimes when you dial the right number and get someone helpful on the line, it may not be who you're looking for.

160. $170 Cashmere sweaters for $10. I think my kids are old enough that I can try cashmere. They are all old enough not to spit up or wipe their noses on me. I got an amazing deal at Ann Taylor with a one day coupon. For that price I can play a bit. Of course, dry cleaning is going to cost as much as the sweater, but It was fun to go shopping with a friend.

161. More Snow! Yeah! The universe is covering our lovely neighborhood in a blanket of white. Just enough to play and make things pretty, not so much that it's a nuisance. I love tree branches outlined in white. And I love it when cold is worth it. (Ironically while the Eastern parts of the country are blanketed in white, Vancouver is having to truck snow in from the mountain tops for the olympics. Wierd.) 4 more days!!!

2 comments:

  1. Way to go on the Ann Taylor find! Can't beat that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, KT!!!! Your blog makes me smile (I guess that's the point). :) Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Followers